Changing the bottom red bar to BLACK
After flashing my phone back from Vivo to VZW using the 01.05.0A Monster Flash file, things didnt look the same as I had them originally and it took me a while to figure things out again with this hack. I've taken it upon myself to clear this guide up so that people who may come across it will understand it better.First and foremost, thanks goes to GuyInLACA for figuring out this hack.
The file that is linked in this guide should NOT be used on the MAXX Ve or v9m as the screen sizes are different on those phones.
What this hack does:By overwriting a few files with this one, we are able to change the red bar on the main screen and menu screens to a black color.
What you need:
- Phone enabled for file transfers
- Filesystem Exploring Software - QPST EFS explorer is recommended.
- This file
What you do:
- connect the phone to the computer. LEAVE THE PHONE CLOSED!!
- Open your phones filesystem with QPST EFS explorer.
- Navigate to /brew/sys
- Use this file to overwrite motoblue_theme.bar on the phone - this will change the bottom bar to black in the menu when viewing the blue theme.
- In order to change the bottom bar to black on the main screen, use the same file, but FIRST RENAME IT to motodefault_theme.bar. If your phone already has a file by that name on the phone, go ahead and overwrite it using this renamed file. If your phone does NOT already have a file by this name, ADD it to the phone. (v3m phones).
- To change the bottom bar to black on the other themes (tropical and business) simply rename the file accordingly and overwrite mototropical_theme.bar and motobusiness_theme.bar.
- Exit your hacking application and power cycle the phone
- Look at that sexiness!
Notes on this hack:
This hack is fully compatible with the custom menu theme guide here. It is also fully compatible with the HTR blue bars hack/Advanced skin guide hack. As mentioned above, this hack affects the main screen and the menu screens, as well as some of the sub menu screens. All the sub screens for Contacts and Recent Calls are black. Messaging sub screens remain red. Some of the GIN sub screens are black - others are red, same for Settings and Tools. The bar color change provided by the HTR blue bars hack and the Advanced skin guide will change the bar color on the dialing screen, browser window, some of the settings and tools sub menus, and a couple other secret areas.
It has also come to my attention that on the krazr k1m phones, the (default) bar file is named differently than on the razr v3m. On the krazr phones, it is named "motodefault_themecli.bar". So you should probably overwrite THIS file instead. But then again, I'm not overly positive yet if this hack works 100% as is on that phone. If anyone would like to report success or failure, please do so by PM'ing me or use the forums which are linked below.
Taking things a bit further:
The original hack was done by GuyInLaca while he was working on skinning the Maxx Ve. The process which he related to me was to open the file in a HEX editor (such as 010 editor) and to do a search/replace for all instances of FF 00 00. He replaced those with 00 00 01. So.. if the file above does not work on your phone, you can attempt to use that method to change the color yourself. Take care to make sure you have a backup of the file incase the edit does not turn out the way that you wanted it to. If you are unfamiliar with HEX color coding, it is done in the fashion of RR GG BB with values ranging from 0-9 and a-f, two characters per color, so 00 FF 00 would be Green and 00 00 FF would be Blue. If you have a graphics editing tool such as GIMP, you can pick a color from the pallete and look at the HEX coding for that color. Keep in mind that some color combinations will not show properly on the phone.
Comments? Questions? Concerns? -- Please feel free to provide some feedback on this guide in the forums.